Friday, January 10, 2014

Photography 101 by Jeff Guenther/Resident Caretaker


Welcome to our new blog, F-Stops & Shutter Speeds.  


Why call it that you ask?  Well here is some quick background information that may help explain why I’m writing this and how I became the resident caretaker here at the Chattanooga Arboretum & Nature Center at Reflection Riding.  

Back in December of 2012, I took a hike with Jeffrey Hunter, our former caretaker and former Tennessee Wild Campaign Director.  I was shooting pictures for a story about the pending Wilderness Act which would encompass a large tract of land in the Cherokee National Forest.  Being an avid hiker, paddler and recreational tree climber, this seemingly insignificant stroll through the woods turned into the next great chapter of my outdoor lifestyle.  Within 4 months of that hike, Jeffrey moved on and I became the new caretaker.  It’s a roll I cherish. 

As caretaker my role includes security.  Lots of “wildlife” here to keep in check as well as being on call to insure that there is always someone available before and after normal business hours when needed.  But, as a former photojournalist at the Chattanooga Times, my background in photography combined with my love for nature has now provided me with an unique place to live as well as an opportunity to provide CA & NC with photographic images as well as videos which we post regularly on our Facebook page and web site.  It’s a great way for us to keep you visually plugged in.

So, with that said I hope you will continue to follow us on Facebook and check in here as well.  Future blog posts may simply include casual observations about the flora and fauna as the seasons change.  Topics might focus on the wildlife that swims and slithers along Lookout Creek or the eerie yet fascinating night sounds of coyotes and owls yelping and hooting along the slopes of Lookout Mountain.  Perhaps I’ll give clues about the location of a bobcat’s footprint that seemingly appears then disappears after each rain.  I’m not a trained naturalist or professional outdoors educator so my posts will simply come from the perspective of a nature lover/shutter bug.  Oh, and I may occasionally babble on about a few photographs that I’ve made. 

Speaking of photography, lets get started.  I’m often asked what advice I might give to a beginner photographer.  It’s quite simple.  Try to shoot with early morning or late afternoon sunlight.  This time of the year, you can take a nap from noon till 3pm.  Shoot from different angles and try to avoid standing flat footed or with your knees locked.  Bend at your waist.  To make a picture more interesting you often have to work for it and that often means getting low and dirty. Also, experiment with the best focal length to frame the picture.  Remember too that a clean non cluttered background can sometimes be as important as the subject matter itself.

A former mentor and fly fishing buddy of mine, the late George Baker, once told me that shooting a better picture is like separating the meat from the potatoes.  The angle you choose plus the depth of field and lens selection will help you to savor the best possible shot.  “Eliminate all the potatoes”  he said.  And when all else fails, shoot a lot of pictures but only show your friends your best shot.  All of us do that. Trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment