Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Can you identify the bamboo noise?

The frigid temps have finally moved on and we are back to our typical wintry seasonal weather.  This past week I thought about different ways I might show just how cold it was, but since we didn’t get any snow here in the valley there weren’t many options other than searching for frozen ice flowers or interesting textures created by the ice forming in our frozen ponds or puddles left by recent rain.  


But, during a late afternoon walk with the high hovering in the mid teens, I heard a series of loud pops as I passed the Philp Memorial Garden. As I approached the Bamboo Forest the sounds were now clearly coming from the bamboo. 

 I walked inside and stood still for several minutes. I typically hike with a digital recorder in my camera bag so I set it on a mini tripod and left it to record the strange pops and cracks that had piqued my curiosity. It wasn’t long before I heard another pop as if a cap gun had been fired.  The bamboo seemed to be moaning and groaning too as the frigid temps were causing moisture inside the bamboo to expand and crack. It’s the only explanation I could come up with.  

I went back a couple of days later to show my daughter but heard nothing.  Take a listen to the video I posted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZ9Zwq9vU4 and tell me what you think?  One comment on Facebook described our Bamboo Forest as “Magical.”  Maybe so, and perhaps I’ll never hear it sound quite this way again.



No comments:

Post a Comment