Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bobcat, Skunk and Deer--Oh My!

It’s always exciting to see wildlife here. Seems that the more exotic sightings are always after dark.  I recently spotted a bobcat on Garden Road just about 300 yards from our main gate. Beautiful animal! It’s the third one I’ve seen since moving here last March.  (The photo posted below is one I’ve taken of our resident bobcat living here at the Wildlife Wanderland.)

My most dramatic sighting was during a night paddle along Lookout Creek this past summer. A friend and I had paddled about an hour up stream and then returned in the dark. There was a downed tree that we had to squeeze under so on the return trip I turned on my headlamp to make sure I could safely navigate beneath it. 

Just as I turned on my light a bobcat was using the tree as a pathway to get from one side of the creek to the other.  I was able to angle my kayak so my light tracked him for the whole length of the tree.  If someone had not been with me to witness such a treat no one would have believed me. It was Awesome! 


Oh, and after seeing the bobcat on Garden Road, there were two deer and a skunk in the caretaker cabin’s front yard. Seems that there is always something to see here. And it's never under appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment